Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Local Color

I made a flying trip down to Letts, IA and High Prairie Fiber today, March 13th to replenish some fibers and yarns for the shop. Abi Hutchison has a great fiber studio where she creates a variety of yarns and spinning fibers.


I finished a shrug this last week known as "Sleeves" with her Heritage Jacob yarn known as "Yarn with a Face" spun from a heritage Jacob flock, each yarn is named by the sheep.  This yarn has a lovely hand.  It is soft and scootchy and feels lovely to knit.  I love her color names, "Solidago", "Blazing Star" to name a couple.


Today I picked up a new yarn spun with Blue Face Leceister (BFL), Alpaca and Silk.  I haven't knit it yet, but I'm anxious to try it out.  I also replenished my stash of "Walkabout" shading yarn and her BFL roving, superfine Merino roving and silk top.  I haven't had her "String Things" in stock for a while.

It is a wonderful experience traveling around the Iowa countryside.  There may not be the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains, but there really is a quiet beauty in this area of the country.  The first time I ever drove down to Abi's they were playing Musorsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" so today I put in the CD. Perfect.

No comments: